Monday 10 October 2011

tomatoes


Here we are picking tomatoes at the allotment. We got a whole load extra thanks to a late heatwave. I reckon I've harvested at least 50kg so far. Mostly I've been roasting them by the tray full, pushing them through a sieve and freezing the sauce. Such a luxury to have a glut of tomatoes. Also on the menu has been minestrone and Tuscan bean soups and I made six jars of tomato and apple chutney thus...

1.5kg tomatoes skinned, (sort of) deseeded and roughly chopped
1kg apples (a mix of eaters and cookers) peeled, cored and chopped
200g sultanas
500g onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
450ml vinegar, (I used a mix of malt, white wine and cider - just what I had in my cupboard)
350g brown sugar, (I used demerara)
1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon of allspice
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne
salt and pepper

In a big pan heat tomatoes, apple, onion, garlic and vinegar until soft, (about half and hour).
Add the remaining ingredients and boil until reduced right down, (about 2 hours).
Ladle into clean jars.
Leave to mature for at least a month.


1 comment:

  1. What a lovely picture and that tom chutney recipe looks yummy. I still have some tomatoes going in the greenhouse, they are still ripening so fingers crossed that we'll get a few more too.

    ReplyDelete